Sunday, January 31, 2010

Since I'm On the Subject...

Since I've been writing blog posts about Second Life today, and since I don't have access to my desktop computer (you know the one with the -- what do you call them? Oh, right, games), I thought I might write reviewlet. The subject: combat meters.
In case you missed my earlier synopsis, a combat meter is part of a larger system that simulates MMO-style gameplay, including hit points, magic spells, psychic powers, racial abilities and the like. The meter itself is attached to the character and acts as both a sensor and visual counter (similar to the health bars for NPCs in standard MMO games). The other half is a HUD which displays character statistics, target data and often includes a hotbar-style array of buttons to activate said skills and the like.
As I've mentioned, there are several combat meters available in Second Life. Some are sold for modest fees, others are free. The larger systems are designed to be customized on a sim-by-sim basis, allowing a single meter to be used -- and unique -- for many sims. Obviously, the advantage to the user is understanding a single system with the ability to play many "games" -- going from a medieval fantasy sim to, say, a Star Wars-themed sim.
So let's look at some of the combat meters available in SL.
Most likely the most popular and widely-used meter is the Dynamic Combat System 2, better known as DCS2. Dimentox Travanti designed the system, and in many ways it defines the form and function of combat meters in SL. There is a fee of L$75 for the system, but once purchased updates are free. And if you have a favorite sim that employs the DCS2 system, I highly recommend you purchase the meter in the sim. This allows them to receive a small portion of the fee, helping to defray the cost of maintaining the land.
There are a huge number of sims using this meter, but a few I am familiar with include Nordhaven (a Viking/early medieval sim), Incorrigible (a medieval high fantasy RP sim) and Little Mos Eisley (a... um... which one is this? Oh, right, Star Trek-themed sim). I can heartily recommend all three, and I'm continuing to explore more DCS2 lands.
One final note about it before I move on: there are a huge number of DCS2-compatible weapons in SL, meaning you can pretty much find one you like without problems.
The second system is the called Osiris, and is available for free. Like DCS2 it's a versatile and robust system configurable for many types of sims. More sims are starting to use this system (also known as RPCS, for Role Play Combat System) for its small footprint, flexibility and low cost (i.e. free). Osiris began its life as the engine behind the Erie Isle sim, a modern-day fantasy realm with a unique and engaging backstory. Even though it puts a huge emphasis on roleplay in its ads and materials, I have not personally had any contact with actual roleplay yet. I have, however, encountered jerks who attacked without warning, which is strictly against the rules in most sims (you have to RP the lead-up for a few chat entries before attacking, to allow the other party to back out or turn off their meter).
Well, the time has come for me to use the desktop computer to do some serious gaming. Hello, Vanguard. I'll write more on this subject in the near future.
Until then, thanks for reading!

No comments: